Besaw’s Supports Lift Urban Portland in May!
This May, a percentage of sales from dinner at Besaw’s will benefit Lift Urban Portland (formerly Northwest Portland Ministries), an interfaith community of volunteers that provide many services to neighborhood seniors, kids and families.
What does Lift Urban Portland do?
- Nutrition Services: Volunteers staff their Loaves & Fishes hot meal site at First Immanuel Lutheran Church and Meals on Wheels deliveries. Hot meals include social activities.
- Emergency Food Pantry and Food Box Delivery: Lift Urban Portland’s emergency food pantry offers a five-day food supply for working families and seniors. They deliver food boxes to the homes of isolated or disabled neighbors.
- Food for Kids Backpack Program: Every Friday, volunteers deliver backpacks of weekend food to elementary school children living in homeless shelters and transitional housing. They arrive at school Monday nourished and ready to learn. This is a partnership with Friendly House and the Project Rerun after school program.
- Community Garden: Their community garden produces tasty fresh fruits and vegetables for their food pantry. Recipients eat more fresh produce when they know it was harvested just steps away. Its consumption helps maintain health and combat obesity.
- Christmas Dinner: This interfaith cooperative endeavor provides dinner and social interaction for about 500 people around Christmas.
- Personal Assistance: Lift Urban Portland coordinates individual assistance, such as reading mail, moving a household and light housekeeping.
We love it when our pick for featured charity lines up with their special events. This month, our donations will benefit the annual Lift Urban Portland Food Drive, May 1st-31st. This is especially important to us because it helps feed hungry families in our own neighborhood: the Pearl District, Northwest Portland, downtown and Old Town. For more information, or to find more ways to help, please visit Lift Urban Portland.
From all of us at Besaw’s, we hope you’ll visit us in May. The weather is beautiful, the patio is delightful (your Mom will love it!), and we’ve got an abundance of seasonal goodies to share.